header

header

Sunday 7 October 2012

Finished Octopus

Woo hooo! I finally finished the stained glass octopus that I've been working on since...let's see....JULY!?

I constructed the frame out of zinc came after The Scotsman very kindly bought me a hacksaw (you know it's love when he buys you a hacksaw!) and built me a perfect 45 degree angle mitre box. Because it was made to accommodate a wood saw, the woodworking mitre box that was available at B&Q had too wide a channel, which would have made for inexact cuts.

The zinc frame really makes the piece look more finished.
The zinc frame really makes the piece look more finished.

We've also been blessed with a rare sunny day here in Scotland, so some of the beautiful details in the antique glass are a bit more visible.
See the golden glints in the glass of the octopus' face?
See the golden glints in the glass of the octopus' face? This antique glass is amazing.
Another angle
Another angle


Sun shining through!
Sun shining through!

Those suckers on the tentacles took FOREVER!
Those suckers on the tentacles took FOREVER.

Although of course there are many things I feel I could have done better on this piece, I do have to say that I'm happy that I've finally started to achieve edges that are more straight than I managed before. My cutting and soldering skills are getting better, but I still have a long way to go.

Nevertheless, this was a really challenging piece that took a huge amount of work, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The next one will be better! Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Would you even consider selling the octopus piece? Or would you consider making another to sell? Please email me at Kcrehn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your message, I only just saw it! I've already sold this piece, but I'm happy to quote for commissions. Let me know if you would like a quote! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelsie, Very nice piece! Did you use white nuggets in the tentacles of the octopus? Love the glass choices.

    ReplyDelete