header

header

Sunday 12 January 2014

Dragon and Girl: more WIP

The holidays were so busy and went by so fast! I had so much going on that I didn't get into the studio much to work on my Dragon and Girl piece, but I've been grinding away on it here and there.

I really think I'm close to the finish line now. Just a couplefew more paint layers on the dragon, the golden stain on the dragon and the girl's hair, coloured stains in the flowers, and finishing up various details here and there, and I'll be able to lead it up and declare this piece finished. What I'll do with it when it's done is another one to figure out. Maybe it will be the first piece I ever sell! (Wouldn't that be nice?)

Anyway, here are some photos of the progress I've made recently. These first two photos are from January 5th:


Progress as of 5 January 2014 - you can see that the body of the dragon is further along than the head and wings
Progress as of 5 January 2014

After the above, I went into the head and wings and strengthened the line, as the line work was quite a bit lighter than that on the body. There are also a couple more layers of shading in the face and wings. Here's where the piece was yesterday:


Progress as of 11 January

The round mark to the left of the dragon's face is just a screw in the light table surface underneath. You can see that the dragon's face and wing are further along, closer in colour and line to the dragon's body.

There's been more work to the girl's hair:

More shading added to the girl's hair and dress
And I've added more detail to the castle in the distance:

More detail added to the castle; more needed in the shrubbery
I need to add more detail to the shrubbery in front of the castle and darken the little pine trees I added to the castle. The shrubbery was put in because the acid had crept under the resist right there and caused the green glass to be marred. Just one of those things.

The dragon's face is coming along:

I wanted his expression to be ambiguous. What's does he think of this situation?
So, in general, I'm pretty pleased with the way it's coming along. I'm really jumpy now, worried that I'm going to drop a piece and shatter it, or screw it up somehow in some other way! Wish me luck, I'm really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this one.

Also, anyone wanna buy it? (Ha ha.) :D Pin It Now!

1 comment: